Sunday, July 27, 2008

Review of Melt

I finally found a vegan sandwich at Melt that I could tolerate. The first time I had one, I got the vegan mozzarella with fried tofu and bbq sauce. The cheese was slimy and the tofu was bland--the only thing that made it palatable was the bbq sauce. So I was a little skeptical about trying the vegan cheese again. However, I wasn't in the mood for salad or three bean chili sans dairy. So I decided to try the vegan american this time and pair it with sliced jalapeƱo peppers. It ended up being an awesome combination of cheese and heat. It was definitely one of those "I can't believe it's vegan" experiences. I will certainly be going back for this in the near future.

As far as cocktails go, I had heard a lot of hype about Melt' s "Las Vegas Lavender Mojito", so I decided to try it. Although it was pretty tasty, it didn't need nearly as much lavender leaves as the bartender dropped in the glass. By the time I was half-way through drinking it, it became a sludgy mess of lavender and rum. It would be much better if they used lavender water as a flavoring agent rather than the actual leaves. My next cocktail was a house specialty. The name of it is escaping me now, but it had something to do with Russia and it was comprised of vodka, ginger and lime juice. Now that was a damn fine cocktail. It was actually my boyfriend who pointed it out on the menu to me and said, "Wow, it sounds like they made this drink just for you." Indeed they did.

In sum, it was a good dining experience. The vegan cheese is awesome because it was filling but I don't feel completely sluggish or overstuffed--unlike my poor boyfriend who's currently passed out in a food coma after devouring his gouda sandwich and two micro brews.

I don't envy him.

No comments: